Tuesday, August 27, 2024

Something About A Nice Life

We must acknowledge that it's been four years since my last post, and four years is 50% of the time this blog has been active. Unlike an earlier post, I had completely forgotten I used to keep this blog. As a 27 (almost 28) year old lawyer, I'm thoroughly impressed with the my past writing and reflections. 

I've been regularly keeping a personal journal where I've written with significantly greater frequency than this blog. I have a pretty solid written record of my thoughts for the last four years, as I started regularly journaling during the pandemic, but I'm happy to know I have a glimpse into my young adulthood through this blog. There's a great satisfaction in physically putting pen to paper, but typing on a laptop knowing I'm going to share this with the "world" provides a certain rush that I miss with a journal.

I obviously have an obscene amount of life updates since my last writing. I graduated from law school and passed the bar. I walked across a country. I started working an intense corporate law job. I shared my sexuality with people I never thought I would. I got engaged to the person I last wrote about breaking up with, and am living with a romantic partner for the first time in my life.

There have been several moments in my life where I fully believed I peaked, that life couldn't possibly get better. My last few years of high school, the months I spent studying abroad in France, all four years of college, and the intensely packed year of 2021 all fall into this category. Fortunately for me, 2024 is shaping up to be yet another peak year. I'm really understanding and appreciating the importance and specialness of my relationships, and making the most out of them. I'm taking control of my time to develop healthy habits. I have a decent amount of money to go on a lot of trips. I am engaged to my favorite person in the world. 

I am truly inspired by my 17 year old self who wrote:

"Everybody tells you that the years you spend in college are going to be the best of your life. But, didn't they say that about high school? And won't they say that about your '20s? I don't really understand the need of human kind to dictate when it is that you can have the best time of your life. Sure, right now I'm young and have my entire life ahead of me, but why is it that in this moment (well over the course of the next 4 years) I'm supposed to have as much fun as I possibly can. I want to live my the entirety of my life as if each "section" is the "best." I mean, after college ends does life get significantly less enjoyable? Yes, the actual responsibilities start to set in, real jobs, rent, bills, and maybe even a family but I am positive I will find a way to not only deal with it, but conquer it. I refuse to believe that all of my enjoyment in life is going to have to come from a specific section from which I'll have to draw upon whenever I am in need of a reminder of what fun is. I am a big believer making the most out of any kind of situation because to me, there is no use wasting time that can be spent doing…something, enjoying…something, living for…something."

The foresight on this guy. I have had far too many debates on whether we actually have free will and have consumed too much left leaning content identifying the structural reasons for the choices we have available to us to fully feel comfortable with this next thought; but I think so many things in life are a choice. I think there's something to choosing the outlook we have on life. I have been very intentional in creating a life that I am proud of living. A life filled with fun and laughter. The choices I've made in my career, relationships and travels are all a reflection of this. 

There is so much chaos, randomness, and ugliness in the world. We are each just an insignificantly small portion of the universe, but I choose to believe there is something to creating a nice life for yourself. I intend to continue doing just that. 

(EDIT: It's also very funny that I published my last post when it was quite literally a draft. Something imperfect.)

No comments:

Post a Comment